Users Who Spiked
20 DEEPLY PERSONAL WRITING PROMPTS
"Just because it's not worth sharing doesn't mean it's not worth writing." This was tip #15 on my Instagram page that gives advice to fellow poets (@poetrytips). Though I love to perform my works as a spoken word artist, I've learned over the years that there are many reasons to write even when the results will not be shared. One such reason is self-therapy. We all have certain habits, inclinations, or viewpoints that we consider as part of our identity, but how often do we really sit down and think about the experiences and thoughts that shape our lives? Getting it all out on paper can help us reflect more purposefully and alleviate some stress. The following are 20 deeply personal writing prompts that can be used for poetry or storytelling (you could also switch it up and use them to expand one of your characters). Some may be worthy of burning after writing, some may make it to a diary or journal, and a few just might be incorporated into your next work. The choice is yours!
1. Write about what a day in your life would be like if you were the opposite gender.
2. Write about the experience of trying to change something about yourself that is not physical.
3. Write about the saddest day of your life and how it has shaped who you are now.
4. Write about the culture that your family comes from and what you like and dislike about it.
5. Write about breaking the law.
6. Write about a spiritual experience that you have had but doubted.
7. Write about being asked to do something that you consider totally off limits.
8. Write about your worse argument from the other person's perspective.
9. Write about a time you felt powerful.
10. Write about something you know you do from insecurity but can't stop doing.
11. Write about someone who has been hurt because of your words or actions (choose a specific person).
12. Write about someone who has been helped because of your words or actions (choose a specific person).
13. Write about the habit you have that you're proudest of.
14. Write about your guiltiest pleasure and why you think you have it.
15. Write about something that you'd be embarrassed for others to know you think about.
16. Write about your most thrilling intimate experience.
17. Write about your fears surrounding death.
18. Write about the one event you would change about your life if you could go back in time.
19. Write about your ideal life partner.
20. Write about the person in your life who you feel has shaped your perspective the most - for better or worse.
Please login to post comments on this story